Thirteen veterans, Level Smith, Kenneth Amerman, Ray Corbin, Anthony Hill, Roy Whitcomb, Roy Schumann, Charles Ray, Tom Dean, Jack Tucker, Norman Nelson, Frank Sapho, James Butler and Oscar Singleton got together and contacted the American Legion Department of Michigan. They were granted a temporary charter on April 23, 1962. The new post, Fort Dearborn was issued the number 364. Early meetings were held at the Post quarters located at Michigan Avenue & Monroe Street. On March 23, 1931 We were given our permanent charter.
The Post also had property located in what is today
In 1965 our building was gutted by a fire that started in the boiler room, currently the back bar. The members were surprised to find we had no fire insurance to cover the damage. The Post obtained a bank loan using the property on Michigan Avenue as collateral. The need to expand came with the increase in membership. Another property trade was agreed upon between Les Stanford Chevrolet & Fort Dearborn Post #364. As a result of this action the Post members got together in 1988 and paid off the mortgage to complete the transition. The result of these changes is our current Post and parking area.